First Launch: 1959-03-01. Last Launch: 1972-04-30. Longitude: -70.54 deg. Latitude: 41.68 deg.
Otis AFB became a major Air Defense Command installation as the 26th Air Defense Missile Squadron was activated on March 1, 1959.
The Corps of Engineers New England Division managed construction of this facility and turned it over to the Air Force in early 1960. Augmenting the Nike missiles and Air Force intercepter aircraft protecting southern New England, this base, housing 28 BOMARC A missiles, became operational in June 1960. The Corps immediately began work to build new facilities to handle the follow-on B model. This construction was completed in February 1962, and by September the B model was operational. The BOMARC facility remained in operation until April 30, 1972.