Site designations and locations of Nike Hercules sites guarding Dallas-Fort Worth were: (DF-01) north of Denton, (DF-20) northeast of Terrell, (DF-50) southeast of Alvarado, and (DF-70) Fort Wolters. Headquarters facilities were located at Duncanville Air Force Station.
Responsibility for constructing these four sites, installed to defend Dallas with its defense production facilities, fell on the Corps of Engineers Fort Worth District. Each site required about 30 acres. At Alvarado, the Fort Worth District was forced to bring condemnation suits to acquire the land. Construction began in 1958. Total acquisition and construction costs for each site came to $1.5 million.
These Nike Hercules sites were manned by Regular Army and National Guard units and operated from 1960 to 1968. Missile defense was coordinated from a "BIRDIE" site collocated with Air Force tracking radars at Duncanville Air Force Station.
|Nike DF-01 12 Nike Hercules launchers.. Operational Sep 1960 - Oct 1968. Control site intact; Denton Board of Education Special Education Resource Center. Launch site transferred from DoD control to another party.|
|Nike DF-20 12 Nike Hercules launchers.. Operational Aug 1960 - Feb 1964 . Control site intact; transferred from DoD control to another party. abandoned. Launch site partially intact; Terrell FFA school bus storage/maintenance.|
|Nike DF-50 12 Nike Hercules launchers.. Operational Aug 1960 - Oct 1968 . Control site intact; private ownership. Launch site intact; private ownership.|
|Nike DF-70 12 Nike Hercules launchers.. Operational Sep 1960 - Oct 1968 . Control site intact; TXArNG training. Launch site intact; Small arms storage, firing, and maneuvering range.|