Designations and locations of the Nike sites defending the Bridgeport area are: (BR-04) Ansonia, (BR-15) Westhaven, (BR-17) Milford, (BR-65) Fairfield, (BR-73) Westport, and (BR-94) Shelton. Headquarters facilities were located in Bridgeport.
Regular Army units manned these sites after initial activation during 1956 and 1957 with the Guard assuming duties in the waning years. Only site BR-04 was converted from Nike Ajax to Hercules. This battery would become integrated into the New England Defense Area before being deactivated in 1971.
The missilemen received recognition on April 19, 1958, when Bridgeport Mayor Samuel Tedesco declared "Nike Day" in his city. Festivities honoring the men of the 741st AAA missile battalion included a parade and ball. In addition, the missile sites were dedicated to local citizens who died in earlier wars.
|Nike BR-04 12 Nike Ajax/Nike Hercules launchers.. Operational 1957 - June 1971 . Control site US Forest Service. Launch site private ownership.|
|Nike BR-15 12 Nike Ajax launchers.. Operational 1956 - Sep 1971 . Control site CTANG Communications site. Launch site Town of Westhaven, Parks and Recreation Department.|
|Nike BR-17 12 Nike Ajax launchers.. Operational 1956 - 1963. Control site Town of Milford, board of education. Launch site private ownership.|
|Nike BR-65 12 Nike Ajax launchers.. Operational 1956 - Mar 1961 . Control site Town of Fairfield, Fire Training and Canine Center. Launch site South Pine Creek Park.|
|Nike BR-73 12 Nike Ajax launchers.. Operational 1956 - 1963. Control site Town of Westport, Westport/Weston Health District Bayberry Special Education Center. Launch site Firefighting Training Center.|
|Nike BR-94 8 Nike Ajax launchers.. Operational 1957 - Mar 1961 . Control site US Government ownership, storage and maintenance support facility for Fort Devens. Launch site park, Town of Shelton.|