Official Chinese Academy of Sciences Biography
Applied opticist. Born in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province. Graduated from Tsinghua University in 1936. Research professor, director and honorary director, Changchun Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Chinese academy of Sciences.
Wang is one of the founders of optical science and technology in China. He has made outstanding contributions to the investigation and manufacture of various large and sophisticated optical devices for defense modernization in China and played a very important role in developing optical science and technology and in the progress of metrological science in China. In the 1950s, he founded the Laboratory for Instrument Technology (the predecessor of Changchun Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences). He directed the Institute to manufacture the first batch of optical glass, the first electron microscope and the first laser in China which made the Institute known worldwide as the center for applied optics and optical engineering. Jointly with Profs. Wang Ganchang, Chen Fangyun and Yang Jiachi, he proposed the suggestion to develop high technology in China (the 863 Plan). He and Prof. Wang Ganchang also jointly initiated to build the national key device of laser fusion. He prompted and organized Members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences to play active roles in offering advises for national important topics of science and technology and achieved remarkable success. Jointly with other 5 Members of the Academy, he initiated and promoted the establishment of Chinese Academy of Engineering. In 1985, he was a leading awardee of a special prize of the National Science and Technology Progress Award.
He became Member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1955.
Birth Place: Suzhou, Jiangsu.