The panel had been established February 7 to establish and document such activities as control of spacecraft work, logging and filing exhibits, logging Board activities, scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, and arranging for secretarial services and reproduction. During the investigation into the January 27 spacecraft fire, the panel had:
- Issued 25 Board administrative procedures.
- Established the administrative and Secretarial Support Office, which had provided support in two shifts seven days a week, unless otherwise required, with some additional third-shift support.
- Established the Photographic Data Control Center to correlate and distribute photographs and maintain a film library.
- Processed letters, telegrams, and telephone messages received offering assistance, recommendations, and comments.
- Periodically issued approved schedules of work.
- Established the Audio Magnetic Tape Library to control 0.64centimeter voice-transmission tape recordings about spacecraft 012 during the Space Vehicle Plugs-Out Integrated Test.